Welcome to the website for Monterey Vista Elementary School in the Garvey School District.
Located in Monterey park, Monterey Vista School has been recognized by the California Department of Education as a Title I Achieving School in January 2004, 2007, and as a California Distinguished School in May 2004. In November 2004, Monterey Vista was recognized by the United States Department of Education in Washington D.C. as a No Child Left Behind - National Blue Ribbon School . As a high-performing school with diverse ethnic student backgrounds, student achievement continues to increase each year. We are particularly proud of our API base score gains. With a base score of 645 in 1999 to 696 in 2000 to 732 in 2001 to 743 in 2002 to 783 in 2003 and 799 in 2004 to 832 in 2005, 825 for 2006, 834 in 2007, and 873 in 2008!
Enrollment consists of 420 students in 18 regular education classes, Full Day Kindergarten through 6th grade plus two Head Start classes on site. Monterey Vista offers a challenging core curriculum that focuses on state content standards while meeting the needs of our diverse student population. Students benefit from a variety of enrichment and remedial programs which includes after school programs, summer school, advanced math classes, visual and performing arts program and track and cross country team.
The effort and dedication from the Monterey Vista teachers and staff have made the school a quality place where learning occurs. The staff is proud of our students' high achievement as evidenced in the API scores. The entire staff also brags about the positive, warm, loving and safe environment that is present through the school. We believe in educating and shaping the whole-child as our ever-present goal.
- California Missions Fair
- Computer based "Reading Counts" and "Orchard" Program
- Early School
- Monthly Student Awards recognizing academic and citizenship
- Scholastic Book Fair
- Science Fair
After School Programs
- After School Intervention Programs
- Math Academy (Advanced Math and Basic Algebra for Grades 3-6)
- School Age Child Care
- Track and Cross Country and Students Run For LA
- Tutoring Agencies (Monterey Vista Tutoring Program and Firm Foundation)
Character and Developmental Assets Building
- Boy/Girl Scouts
- Image Plus (Multicultural Education Program) - Santa Anita Family Counseling Services
- Student Council
- Annual Community Read In
- Multicultural Assemblies (Chinese New Year, Cinco De Mayo, etc.)
- SAFE Moves Program (traffic safety for K-3 students provided by Monterey Park Police Department)
- Veteran's Day Assembly
- Foothills Family Counseling Services
- Chess Tournament
- Glee Club and Bell Choir
- Outdoor Education (Camp Oakes)
- Spring Program
- Winter Program
- SAFE (School and Family Effectiveness) Parent Program - Foothills Family Services
Hing K. Chow